Friday, January 20, 2012

Cheeseburger Soup


Cheeseburger Soup

It has been a pretty mild winter here in the DC area. We have yet to have a snowstorm, or the more common, ice event! I really look forward to a good old fashioned, get out the snow shovels, snowsuits and boots kinda snow. I love watching the news waiting for the school closings, sitting by the fire, and drinking my second (or third cup!) of coffee.

I also love bird watching during and after a snowfall. The birds stand out so beautifully against the pure white background, and their determined search for birdseed can keep my attention for quite awhile.

But, I digress. We do not have any snow. But it is cold, so it is the perfect day to get the slow cooker out and make cheeseburger soup! This recipe came from Better Homes and Garden, and I have adapted it to my gluten free requirements. My kids love it, it makes the whole house smell so good, and it is super easy!

( I added a few handfuls of cheddar cheese to thicken it but my gf adaptations does not allow for the cheddar cheese soup ingredient)

Cheeseburger Soup 

ingredients
  • 1
    pound ground beef
  • 1/2
    cup chopped onion (1 medium)
  • 2
    cloves garlic, minced
  • 2
    medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2
    cup sliced carrot (1 medium)
  • 1/4
    cup ketchup
  • 2
    tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1
    fresh serrano chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1/4
    teaspoon salt
  • 1/4
    teaspoon black pepper
  • 2
    14 ounce cans beef broth ( gluten free)
  • 1
    10 3/4 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup (I substituted gluten free tomato soup)
  • 1/2
    cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)

Dill pickle spears (optional)



Directions:

In a large skillet, cook meat, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onion tender. Drain off fat.

In a 4-5 qt slow cooker, combine meat mixture, potatoes, carrot, ketchup, mustard, chili pepper, salt and black pepper. Stir in broth and soup.

Cover and cook on low for 10-11 hours or on high for 5-5 1/2 hours. Top each serving with cheese.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment