Friday, September 7, 2012

Creamy Mushroom Soup



Although the calendar says September, the weather is still hot and sunny. But yesterday, it rained and was cooler,  and I could see autumn just around the corner. Every year around this time, I am ready for everything "fall" and look forward to soups and stews, and firing up the crock pot!

I did not use my slow cooker for this recipe, although I am sure you could. This soup was fairly quick to put together and was a hit with my vegetarian daughter! None of the ingredients called for anything with gluten, so it worked for me as well. My son, not a mushroom fan, ate leftovers and fresh garlic bread I made to go with this soup. A tossed green salad would also be perfect.

This recipe came from Vegetarians and More by Linda Rosensweig. I checked this book out of the library and liked the optional meat add-ons it featured. I love to cook, but it can prove difficult accommodating everyone's dietary limitations and preferences!



Creamy Mushroom Soup

  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 strips vegetable-protein bacon( I used regular bacon, crumbled it for an add-on)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup (2 oz) reduced fat sour cream 
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
In a medium saucepan, combine the broth and potato.
Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
Transfer to a blender or food processor.
Blend or process until smooth.



pureed potato/vegetable mixture

Meanwhile, warm 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the bacon.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
Transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
Crumble.

Warm the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the same saucepan.
Add the onion and garlic.
Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes, or until soft.
Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
Stir in the milk, sour cream, thyme, salt, pepper and pureed potato..
Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes, or until heated through.

Top each serving with bacon.

I added 1/2 of a zucchini chopped with the mushrooms.

Enjoy anytime or on a cool crisp fall evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment