Monday, August 22, 2011

Sweet Surprise


A few weeks ago, I noticed what I thought was a cucumber vine growing from the compost bin. I weed whacked carefully around it, not wanting to disturb this mysterious plant. Last year, we had our juiciest tomatoes from a plant that grew out of the compost bin.



So when my husband identified this vine as a cantaloupe, and I discovered many melons hiding and slowly ripening under the leaves, I was shocked! This compost bin soil is pure magic! I mean, for one, it has all the right nutrients for a growing plant, plus it is protected from rabbits, birds, rodents as well as overzealous gardeners who may mistake the seedling for a weed.

So, I am happily watching and waiting for these wonderful melons to ripen enough to pick. Yes, I have picked many tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and lettuce this summer, but this find seems like a freebie. You know, like finding a dollar bill on the ground....

What garden surprises have you found this summer?


No comments:

Post a Comment