Thursday, July 7, 2011

Breakfast with the Birds

resident catbird

During our hot and humid summer months, I tend to savor the mornings as well as the evenings for time outside. One of my favorite things to do is to have breakfast on our backyard deck watching the birds. There is so much activity this time of day....they are all flying around the bird feeders, pond and suet feeder. Our suet feeder is very popular these days with many woodpeckers, chickadees, blackbirds and my resident catbird. The exterior cage allows the smaller birds to feed inside while the larger birds can only grab a bit at a time. Before I had this type of feeder, the suet would be gone in a matter of hours!

suet feeder




Our pond
I have read that birds are attracted to the sound and sight of water. When our waterfall starts up each morning there does seem to be many more varieties of birds around. This year, a catbird routinely perches nearby when I am in the vegetable garden. I am sure she has her nest there and is patrolling.  She is less tolerant of Morris, our cat, and reprimands him frequently when he accompanies me. She is a bit camera shy and will only stay in one spot for a second!


Morris waiting for the hummers



What kind of birds are visiting your backyard this summer?




No comments:

Post a Comment