Thursday, July 21, 2011

Roasting Vegetables

Roasted Brussel Sprouts


 I grew up eating very healthy meals prepared by my mother. She made 3 meals for everyone everyday that included many fruits and vegetables. I credit her for my knowledge of how to raise my children to eat healthy.

But, my mother never seasoned her food or fed us anything other than boiled vegetables. I grew up hating peas since they were canned and tasted completely different than fresh or frozen peas.

Roasting vegetables in something I learned from watching Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa, on the Food Network.  I love the simplicity of the way she cooks, using fresh ingredients with amazing results. Roasting improves the flavor of vegetables and is incredibly easy to do. It brings out the sweetness in them as well as gives them a crispy texture. This is especially important when trying to increase our daily amount of vegetables. Some of my family's favorites are roasted cauliflower, potatoes and brussel sprouts.


Ina Garten's recipe for Roasted Brussel Sprouts


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
  • 3 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2/index.html

Try them! It will change the way you eat vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment