Sunday, July 24, 2011

Peach and Blueberry Crumbles

Peach and Blueberry Crumbles
Is there anything better than produce in the middle of summer? I am overwhelmed with the selection at the grocery store and farmer's market this time of year! I end up buying too many containers of fresh blueberries, and I can never keep up with all the ripening peaches.

 I decided to bake with the peaches and blueberries. I love the combination of taste, texture and color. Before I had to eat gluten free, I loved baking peach pies in the summer. But, let's face it, making pie crust is no easy task and making the gluten free crusts is a bit more time consuming. 




I found a really easy and delicious recipe from Ina Garten calledPeach and Blueberry Crumbles. I used a gluten free flour mix I had made up a few months ago and it worked well with this. This recipe recommends using ramekins or custard cups, but I baked it in a 9 in deep dish pie plate. Next time I would use the ramekins as it was a bit soupy.


All my gluten eating family members gobbled this down, except for my fussy teenage son, who also happens to be allergic to peaches. 

 

Ingredients


For the fruit:

  • 2 pounds firm, ripe peaches (6 to 8 peaches)
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries (1/2 pint)

For the crumble:

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Immerse the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until their skins peel off easily. Place them immediately in cold water. Peel the peaches, slice them into thick wedges, and place them in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and flour. Toss well. Gently mix in the blueberries. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. Spoon the mixture into ramekins or custard cups.
For the topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Rub the mixture with your fingertips until it's in big crumbles, then sprinkle evenly over the fruit. Place the ramekins on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the tops are browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you want to make these early, store the unbaked crumbles in the refrigerator and bake before dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment