Sunday, July 31, 2011

Taco Salad

Taco Salad

It has been extremely hot and humid the past few days....last night around 10pm it was still over 90!
I hate to turn the oven on when making dinner during this heatwave so I try to make recipes that can go in the crock pot or can be cooked on the stove top.

Or, I make a big salad. (That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine always orders the "big salad" at the local diner).

I love a lot of the recipes from the New Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. This recipe is one of my favorites from the book.

Ingredients:


8 oz ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
15 oz. can dark red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
8 oz jar taco sauce
3/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
6 cups shredded leaf, and/or iceberg lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
tortilla chips
sour cream


Directions:


In a medium saucepan, cook ground beef and garlic until brown . 
Drain off fat.
Stir in kidney beans, taco sauce, and corn.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat.
Simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, and green onions.
Toss gently and serve with meat mixture.
Top with avocado, shredded cheese, and sour cream if desire.
Serve with tortilla chips.

Meat mixture


Salad


I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does! What are your favorite recipes you like to serve on a hot summer day?

No comments:

Post a Comment