Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cooking with my WOK

In 2007, when first diagnosed with Celiac Disease ,and having to adhere to a gluten free diet, going out for dinner at our favorite local Chinese restaurant was no longer an option for me.  Soy sauce is wheat based  and on my forbidden foods list, along with barley, malt, and rye.

It was a big lifestyle change for me, but I figured out how to eat gluten free and pretty soon my symptoms went away. But I did miss all those delicious stir-fry dishes.

I heard about a book by Grace Young, called The Breath of a Wok ,and checked it out of the library and started reading. I liked it so much and was so eager to try her recipes, I bought my own copy. Ms. Young taught me how to cook. She explained how to use heat with fresh ingredients to create recipes that actually tasted as good or better than the restaurant ones. And they were healthier.

I ordered my first wok from a shop in San Francisco...The Wok Shop.www.wokshop.com

 A 14 inch carbon steel wok is the perfect size for a home cook. I also ordered a "spatula" which looks like a shovel with a wooden handle and a domed lid. Then I started cooking.

Click on the link below to watch Grace Young show you how to stir fry!

http://www.chow.com/videos/show/youre-doing-it-all-wrong/62228/how-to-stir-fry-with-grace-young#!/show/youre-doing-it-all-wrong/62228/how-to-stir-fry-with-gra

No comments:

Post a Comment