Friday, May 27, 2011

Veggies anyone?



My husband studied square foot gardening 3 years ago and built our first garden bed.He researched extensively( really???) mixed and added the right combinations of soil, as well as made it critter proof! Fast forward to 2011 and we now have 2 raised beds, and I have become the "gardener in charge"! This year, "we" planted:

4 tomato plants
1 zucchini
1 green bell pepper
1 jalopeno pepper
2 different varieties of leaf lettuce
basil
cilantro(lots of it)
Oregano, thyme and chives (wintered over)


We had several snow pea plants that self-seeded, as well as parsley, and a boatload of strawberries! This is the first year that we have had so many strawberries, and we are thrilled!

We did install a critter and dog proof fence this year,and dismantled my husband's effective but aesthetically less than pleasing netting. Accessing the garden for weeding and harvesting is much easier now. (And my neighbors are probably happy that they do not have to hear me yelling for the darn dog to get out of my garden!)

No comments:

Post a Comment