Sunday, June 19, 2011

Decadent Dessert Recipe

Peanut Butter Cookie Candy Bars

I saw this recipe on the internet and even though the bottom layer is gluten free, I thought it would appeal to the whole family. In my family, since I am the only one that has to eat gf, I usually bake the "regular" way. I am never tempted to "cheat", since the repercussions of eating even a teeny tiny bit of gluten is not pleasant. ( I will spare you the gory details).

But, let's face it...sometimes a gluten free girl just has to have her sweets.

It calls for a Betty Crocker gf cookie mix for the crust, but I am sure you can substitute either a graham cracker crust or a regular cookie mix instead. There are few steps to this recipe, but I promise you the end result is well worth it.( I did enjoy licking the beaters too!)

Peanut Butter Cookie Candy Bars

  • 1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free chocolate chip cookie mix
  • Butter, vanilla and egg called for on cookie mix box
  • 1/3 cup light corn syrup
  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons water
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
  • dash salt
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 bag (14oz) caramels, unwrapped
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 cups dry-roasted peanuts
  • 1 bag (11.5oz) milk chocolate chips * (I substituted semi-sweet because I forgot to buy the milk chocolate ones....I think the milk chocolate would be too sweet, if that's even possible)
Instructions:

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Make cookie dough as directed on box, using butter, vanilla, and egg. In ungreased 13x9 inch pan, press dough evenly. Bake 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool about 30 minutes.

2. In large bowl, beat all filling ingredients except powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until well blended( filling will be thick). Press filling over cookie base.

3.In medium microwavable bowl, microwave caramels and 2 tablespoons of water uncovered on High 2-4 minutes, stirring twice, until caramels are melted. Stir in peanuts. Spread evenly over filling. Refrigerate about 15 minutes or until caramel layer is firm.

4. In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips uncovered on High 1-2 minutes, stirring once, until melted. Spread evenly over caramel layer. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chocolate is set. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows. Store covered at room temperature.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment