Saturday, June 11, 2011

Farmer's Market Saturday!

zucchini, Bermuda onions, eggs, kale and beets

 I just returned from the Farmer's market. I wanted to buy eggs and was fortunate to get the last 2 dozen! ( I have a teenage son so we go through a lot of eggs!) I didn't get there until 11am and the eggs usually are sold fast.

I also browsed the various stands for veggies. I found a big bag of kale as well as 4 small zucchini. (I try to buy from different farmers and feel guilty when I walk past without purchasing something.) The woman who sells baked goods doesn't bake anything gluten free, "yet", so we just smile at each other as I walk by. It smells wonderful...sniff, sniff.


beets

The man who sold me the eggs had bunches of large green onions that he said were Bermuda onions. "They are incredibly sweet, but they do not keep long due to the high sugar content", he warned me. The beets were on the table right next to those onions, so I thought I would give them a try. I don't know about you, but the only beets I ever ate were the the kind  my mother took out of the can. They had an unnatural deep red color and I hated them. I am not sure I have eaten them since I lived at home.

Linus and Snoopy trying out some beet greens
Guinea pigs love kale and as it turns out, beet greens are recommended! They were a big hit with our piggies, Linus and Snoopy, so I am looking forward to cooking with them tomorrow. ( the beets, not the pigs!)

I am thinking of making some type of ham, bean and veggie stew using the produce I bought today, plus I may buy a mini HoneyBaked Ham to add flavor. I will post the recipe if it turns out good!

No comments:

Post a Comment