Thursday, June 2, 2011

Delicious Pasta recipe by Rachel Ray!


Rachel Ray calls this dish Lazy Bolognese Style Lasagna. I call it delicious, even when using gluten free pasta. My family can usually tell when I have substituted gluten free pasta for the traditional pasta made with wheat flour. I heard no complaints last evening during dinner and even got the comment, " Mom, this is really good!" I think Rachel used lasagna noodles in her recipe, but I made it with gf spaghetti. I like the Tinkyada brand. It is made from brown rice and tastes closest to the 'real" thing than any other gluten free brands I have tried.


Try this recipe. You will love it.

I made some changes based on what I had on hand. I substituted  red wine for white wine. (We drank the rest of the white wine over Memorial Day weekend.) I had a few mushrooms in the crisper that needed to be used, so in they went. We have a lot of parsley in the garden, so I chopped it up and sprinkled it over the top after it came out of the oven.


I used my big, heavy cast iron stew pot. I like the uniform heat it provides. Everything cooks evenly and browns nicely. But, it is HEAVY!

We had corn on the cob last night, but a tossed salad would be perfect with this dish.

Lazy Bolognese Style Lasagna by Rachel Ray


Salt and Pepper
1 pound wavy lasagna noodles, broken in irregular pieces ( I used Tinkyada's gluten free spaghetti)
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped or grated
1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
A sprinkle of ground cloves
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup white wine
2 cups beef stock ( Kitchen Basics is gluten free)
2 rounded T flour ( I used Bob's all purpose gluten free flour)
2 cups whole milk
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
Freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese

Bring a large pot of water to boil, salt it, add pasta and cook until al dente. ( Rinse with cold water in colander if using gluten free.

In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium- high heat.
Add the beef and brown well.
Add the onion, garlic,carrot, rosemary, cloves, and lots of salt and pepper and cook until tender, 7-8 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute, then stir in the wine for 1 minute.
Stir in the stock and simmer for a few minutes longer.

Preheat the broiler and position a rack in the center of the oven.
In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
Whisk in the flour, then the milk and let it thicken enough to coat a spoon, season with salt and pepper and nutmeg.

Toss the pasta and arrange in a casserole.
Pour the bechamel sauce over the top in an even layer.Top with a layer of parmigiano-reggiano and broil in the oven to brown the top.

I also topped it with some shredded mozzarella...the kids will eat anything with mozzarella on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment