Monday, June 20, 2011

The Early Bird gets the EGGS!

It was a busy weekend with end of the school year activities, but I did manage a quick trip to the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. I made it there about 9:30am and was disappointed to discover the eggs were already sold out! One of the farmers said that the "egg man" was not here this weekend.

cabbage, Swiss chard, cauliflower and red potatoes

So, I browsed for interesting vegetables and found a small head of cauliflower, tender cabbage, red potatoes and Swiss chard. Another customer at the stand commented on how delicious Swiss chard is and compared the taste to spinach. I can't wait to try it sauteed with olive oil and garlic.

I did use the potatoes and boiled them up whole, mashed them with butter, cream, fresh minced garlic, and salt and pepper. I leave the skins on them and hand mash them. Easy and they went well with the grilled ribs that are my husband's specialty. We also had roasted cauliflower, one of the my husband's favorite vegetables. It was Father's Day, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment