Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Introducing Swiss Chard!

washed Swiss Chard

Last evening I used the Swiss chard  I bought at the farmers market. Growing up, my mother always prepared healthy meals, including lots of fruits and vegetables. But, we never had greens. I have come to crave fresh greens and learned to cook collards from my husband and mother-in-law. There is nothing more satisfying and healthy than a bowl of fresh greens seasoned with olive oil, onions and garlic. Sometimes, I saute a little ham or bacon for added flavor and add a bit of chicken stock.

The delicious flavor of the Swiss chard surprised me. It was so good I am heading out this morning to the local farmer's market to buy more! Is it too late to plant this green in my vegetable garden???


This recipe and photo below are from the following website::http://tastyeatsathome.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/simple-sauteed-swiss-chard/



Sauteed Swiss Chard
1 T olive oil
1/4 c chopped yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced 
1 large bunch of swiss chard, rinsed well and stems and leaves chopped
pinch crushed red pepper
2 T water
salt to taste
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Add swiss chard and crushed red pepper and saute for another minute. Add water and cover pan, and allow to “steam” for another 2-3 minutes, or until swiss chard is wilted and the leaves are bright green. Remove the lid and season to taste with salt.
Serves 3-4




No comments:

Post a Comment