Friday, June 3, 2011

Finally planted the annuals!



Marigolds, Periwinkle planted among the spring Pansies

 It has been humid and in the 90's the past few days. I did not venture outside during the day, but waited for evening to check on my garden, water, weed and harvest. I thought I was thoroughly watering the annuals that were confined in the garden store containers. I bought them a week ago and they were patiently waiting for their spot in the garden.

I decided to plant marigolds and periwinkle in my deck planters among the spring pansies. The pansies prefer cooler weather, and will not do well in the  heat. I usually trim them down when they get leggy and they will return in the fall.

Marigolds

.
                                       I also planted a few marigolds in the vegetable garden.


Morning Glory Vine

The morning glory seeds I planted a few weeks ago have sprouted and started climbing the wooden posts of our vegetable garden. The flowers will be blue and very showy. (Morning glories propagate easily, so I will have lots of them next year!) They also attract hummingbirds!


 My mother has a big vegetable garden and always plants zinnia seeds along the perimeter. When they grow and flower, it is truly spectacular!

My parent's garden in upstate NY
                                     
Every year I plant less annuals since my perennials have grown and filled in nicely. So, I try and incorporate annuals among the perennials in the containers too. I like the contrast of the foliage between eager mums and tough summer flowers ready to take on our brutal summers.




No comments:

Post a Comment